Saturday, June 25, 2011

North of the Sunset

http://www.archive.org/details/NorthOfTheSunset

Welcome to Episode 13 of Doc Rockavoy's Indy Music Garage! It's been a strange week weather and otherwise, so I thought I'd play some jazz and reggae/ska/dub records. I enjoyed peeling into this side of my record collection that I don't listen to often. After having lived in Philadelphia for ten years, there's a lot of Afro-Carribbean music crosscurrenting through that music scene in so many ways, it's almost a civic duty as a Philadelphian to have this stuff in your record collection. It's good medicine for where I live.

Some highlights on the show are Charles Mingus, one of America's greatest composers, as well Linton Kwesi Johnson, the writer, poet, and music activist. I decided to throw something from the first English Beat album, which was very good.

Still no podcast microphone......!

The playlist for today, in order, is: Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, The Lounge Lizards, Sonny Rollins, Oscar Peterson Trio, Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Miles Davis, Linton Kwesi Johnson, The Flames (guess who they really are!), The English Beat, LKJ, The Melodians, Harry Belafonte, Pete Fountain, Miles Davis, and Stan Getz Quartet (live).

Thanks for tuning in!

Cheers,

Doc Rockavoy

No comments:

Post a Comment