Saturday, August 11, 2012

Panic Attack

http://archive.org/details/PanicAttack_488

Welcome to Episode 34 of Doc Rockavoy's Indy Music Garage! We've been through a month heat wave out here in Nebraska, and it's been brutal. Everything is brown; it's too hot to skate; and the pools close this week around town. I just got back from playing the Free Tulsa Music Festival with my band, and it was 108 degrees when we played, which was outdoors in a courtyard surrounded on three sides by brick walls. I felt like an wood oven baked pizza. ! I was also a little swoony after we played, as did most of the bands that day. The temps are down, and the skatepark is looking good to go now.

For today's show, I put on some new records I got recently, which people will like a lot. There's a track from a great Montreal band called Jet Black, who sound a little like Swervedriver, and pretty much rule. There's also a cool track from Dikes of Holland, which I picked up in Norman during rehearsals for the festival. One of the surprises I bought recently was the band Off!, which is Keith Morris' new project. I thought it would be lame, but I was surprised. I bought the box set of 4 singles, 4 songs each, and it just blares late 70s LA punk rock! It really kicks. It's kind of supergroup, with Dimitri Coats from Burning Brides on guitar; Mario Rubalcaba from the Hot Snakes on drums; and Steve McDonald from Red Kross on bass. You need this for your record collection. The first track on the show is a great misanthropic (or charitable, you decide) song called "F**k People."

I also picked up The Who, Live at Leeds, in the used record section, and side two just kicks ass as well, so I thought I'd put "My Generation" on, which is 15 minutes long. After Hendrix died, all the big guitar players had just been influenced by him, and Pete Townsend tries to reach that potential, but doesn't quite do it. But it's still pretty rad guitar playing. There's a great track from Thee Hypnotics as well.

The playlist for today is: Off!, Jet Black, Dikes of Holland, Zombie vs. Shark, Government Issue, Thee Hypnotics, The Who, Drive Like Jehu, Lungfish, Desert Sessions, Fugazi, The Zeros, Lungfish, Adolescents, Death, MC5, Dirtbombs, Off! The show is bit over 60 minutes.

Thanks for tuning in!

Cheers,

Doc Rockavoy

2 comments:

  1. Cool. I heard kieth m lived near Austin? Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt,

    Thanks for putting us on the show. I will definitively follow this.

    Cheers!

    Francis.

    ReplyDelete