Saturday, March 19, 2011

Come on and Wake Up....to Big Guitars, Lo-Fi is Dead

http://www.archive.org/details/ComeOnAndWakeUp.......toBigGuitarsLo-fiIsDead

Welcome to Episode 5 of Doc Rockavoy's Indy Music Garage! I didn't know what I might play in this new podcast, and all week I've felt like big, loud guitars, and that is mostly what's on the show today. Big loud guitars that are discordant and noisey, complex and ringing, and there's a little bit of ska/punk/funk in the beginning of the show. But it's time to return to big, loud, noisey guitars after the era 2000-2008, where Lo-Fi indy rock predominated, and people's politics were apathetic. I like some of the Lo-Fi scene, but it's now time for rackety big guitars and big cabinets, and the assertive politics that comes with it! As it was said, "Kick Out the Jams.....," you can fill in the blank.

I decided to start off the show with Mr. Roger's album, Come on and Wake Up, which is about as early 1970s as you can get, all good stuff for kids. I played a track off The Astronauts album, a surf rock band from the early 1960s, since my high school band teacher played guitar in the group. There's also a great track by the DC band, The Faith, which was released on blue vinyl no less. There's a nice rackety track of Swervedriver to end the show, recorded live. I had to play G.I. three times!

I still don't have a podcast microphone, so I'll keep my editorializing brief.

The playlist is about 85 minutes: Mister Rogers, The Astronauts, Lungfish, The Pretenders, Fishbone, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Minutemen, French Toast, The Damned, Government Issue, Dag Nasty, Dinosaur Jr., The Faith, Bad Religion, Jawbox, Soundgarden, One Last Wish, Government Issue, The Stooges, Beefeater, My Bloody Valentine, Flying Saucer Attack, Killing Joke, Government Issue, Gray Matter, Television, and Swervedriver.

Enjoy!

Doc Rockavoy

No comments:

Post a Comment